May 26, 2011
The story of Narcissus (taken from NSTP's Niexter 26/5/11)
So vain was he that he looked down on everyone else and turned down many who wanted to love and be loved by him.
Aminias, one of those spurned by him killed himself with a dagger Narcissus gave him. As he lay dying, he asked the gods to teach Narcissus a lesson for the pain he had caused.
Nemesis, the Greek goddess of divine retribution (punishment) responds, and leads him to a spring where he sees his own reflection and falls madly in love with it.
Not realising that what he sees is in fact a reflection in the water, he tries to get at it. When he cannot get what he desires, he falls into the lake and dies.
He is then turned into the flower Narcissus and lives on to this day as a reminder of the penalty of vanity.
And from Narcissus's obsession with himself, comes the word Narcissism.
So the next time you stop in front of anything reflective to preen, make sure Nemesis isn't watching you!
Sent by Maxis from my BlackBerry® smartphone
Countries I have been to....
mieranadhirah has been to: Australia, Belgium, Cambodia, People's Republic of China, Denmark, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Indonesia, Ireland, Japan, Malaysia, Netherlands, Singapore, South Korea, Sri Lanka, Taiwan, Thailand, United Kingdom, United States.
Get your own travel map from Matador Network.
Miera Nadhirah Tan
- A mother of three grown children who loves travelling, photography, food, trying beauty products and so on...I am a full time blogger and enjoy sharing about my experiences, my travel, the things I enjoy..For invitations, events, product reviews etc, pls email me at email@example.com
- ► 2016 (446)
- ► 2015 (536)
- ► 2014 (789)
- ► 2012 (136)
- Phuket day 2 pictures - selected pictures only
- Phuket day 1 pictures - selected pictures only
- Basking in the sun
- My trip to phuket in words - Day 4
- A big thanks...
- Trip to Phuket in words (day 3)- 20th May 2011
- Phishing, scamming, cheating online
- The story of Narcissus (taken from NSTP's Niexter ...
- Some naughty shirts spotted at a souvenir shirt ki...
- Boat at the Muslim fishing village in Phang nga
- My Phuket trip in words - Day 2
- At the hospital...
- My Phuket trip in words.. Day 1 (18th May 2011)
- Tom Yum Gung recipe...
- My favourite photo extravagance in Phuket
- Super awesome gifts from my sister in law..
- My motivation...
- Fat me...
- Annual Awards Dinner invitation and Phuket tour bo...
- Achieving your dreams..
- Female Logic
- The generous vegetable seller..
- Masjid India bazaar
- Happy sweet 16th birthday to my dear eldest daught...
- My new baby
- Home cures for laryngitis
- Life is a GIFT
- Tea time @ Esteler 77
- ▼ May (30)
Did you know that Prudential recently launched the inaugural 2016 Prudential Relationship Index (PRI) in the attempt to understand the sta...
Blanc Coco, the world’s first sparkling 100% coconut water, has been launched in Malaysia by Euro-Atlantic Sdn Bhd for Thai Coconut Pub...
Living in Singapore can be a boon for you just because its location allows you to visit several places of interest in this region l...
Jawdrop... oh mai gawd........ Huawei Consumer Business Group has today announced the launch of the new HUAWEI P10 and P10+, innovat...
Netflix, the world’s leading Internet television network today announced, together with Polygon Pictures, the global premiere of Blame! . ...