We are delighted to tell you that Nayati is back home with us and although it has obviously been a very traumatic time for him he appears at this stage to be in good shape. We cannot begin to say how proud we are of him and the way that he has coped with the events of the past week.
We have been overwhelmed by the support we have received from all our friends here in Kuala Lumpur... and all over the world. We are unable to find the words to express our gratitude but we will never forget what they did for us.
Even more surprising, because it was so unexpected, has been the support of people whom we have never met - and are never likely to meet – in countries as far away as Zambia and the USA, who have offered their time, skills and, in many cases, money, without any expectation of any form of compensation. We are so grateful for their help.
We also appreciate very much the tremendous practical and moral support we have received from the Netherlands Embassy and in particular the Ambassador, Mr Paul Bekkers. With his help we were able to surmount some “interesting” technical problems.
Finally we would like to express our gratitude to the Government of Malaysia, specifically the Royal Malaysian Police. Their number one priority from the start has been the safe return of Nayati and they have been most careful not to do anything that might have jeopardised his safety. We have enjoyed and will continue to enjoy our stay in this wonderful country.
As we are sure you will understand, Nayati’s kidnapping is the subject of an ongoing investigation so we are unfortunately not at liberty to reveal any of the details of the case at this stage.
There will be a press conference on Friday. Details to follow.
Thank you. - Moodliar Family
KUALA LUMPUR (28th April 2012): Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Razak yesterday made an impassioned plea to the abductors of a 12-year-old schoolboy to release him.
Nayati’s mother, Janice Smith, 40, said witnesses saw the men grabbing the boy from behind when he was standing at the junction of Jalan Kiara 1 and Jalan Kiara, while waiting for his friends to walk to school together.
She said it was usual for the seventh grade student to walk to school as it was only five minutes away from their home.
The boy’s family lived in one of the luxury condominiums at the area.
The boy’s father, Sham Moodliar, 41, said at the scene yesterday that his family only wanted the boy back.
“I beg the kidnappers to return our son. We won’t press any charges,” he said, adding that closed-circuit television recordings from a nearby condominium had been surren dered to the police.
The father, who works as a senior adviser in a Dutch management consultant company in the city, said there was no ransom demand.
The family was also clueless on the motive of the kidnapping as the couple had no prob lem with anyone. since they moved here eight months ago.
“Please, just drop him somewhere in a safe condition. He would know how to come home. We just want him back.” “If you want something, please contact us. Just do not harm our son.” He said the family could be contacted at 012-3656202.
The victim is the elder of two children.
Kuala Lumpur police chief Datuk Mohmad Salleh confirmed the report.
News of the abduction has gone viral on Twitter and Facebook, alerting the public to look out for Nayati.