So yours truly was over at Putrajaya early Sunday morning to join in the 6km Let’s Save Lives Fun Run, Jog and Walk 2017, which was a collaboration between 3 health programmes, which is Organ Donation, Breast Cancer Awareness Programme and Let’s Be Healthy Programme by the (National Transplant Resource Center; the National Cancer Institute at Hospital Putrajaya; the Health -Department of Putrajaya with the support from Putrajaya- Selangor Health and Fitness Society..
The National Organ Donation Week Awareness Celebration is an annual affair that has been around since 2010 and it is celebrated in the month of October with physical and fitness to encourage a more healthy community that keeps healthy..
In this way, we can maintain our health and lessen the risk of becoming a patient with an organ failure..
The objective of this celebration and run is of course, to make the public more aware of the importance of organ donation in Malaysia which can save other lives.. and with this, the Health Ministry is calling on the young generation to pledge their organs during the ongoing organ-donation awareness campaign week.
And yours truly here was there with some celebrity friends, such as Female's top 50 Gorgeous influencer, Hafreeze; Fahmie Ismail and actor Jaslin Puasa to do our part as well as to pledge our organs for donation if anything were to happen to us..
Deputy Health Minister, Datuk Seri Dr Hilmi Yahaya said presently, 397,476 people or 1.2% of the country's total population had registered as organ donors, with 60.9% of them aged 18 years and above.
He said the young generation should be the ones being ahead of others in the matter of organ donation as it would be easier for them to understand the process and procedures due to the continuous campaign drive on organ donation and transplantation carried out by the government.
Here are some facts on organ donation…
- Did you know about 22 people die every day while waiting for a transplant, and when you decide to be an organ donor, you can actually save 8 lives and change the lives of more than 50 people...
- Almost anyone can be an organ donor, regardless of age or medical history.
- All major religions support organ donation, including Islam..
- If a person is hospitalized, the medical staff provides the best possible care, regardless of organ donor status. Donation is only considered after a patient has is declared brain dead by two specialists who are independent from transplantation…
- Donors are needed for all races and ethnic groups. Transplant success rates increase when organs are matched between members of the same ethnic background.
- Organs are allocated according to medical need, blood and tissue type, height and weight. Celebrity status and wealth are not considered.
- An open casket funeral is possible for organ, eye and tissue donors. The body is treated with dignity, care and respect throughout the entire donation process.
- There is no cost to the donor or their family.
- A living donor can provide a kidney or a portion of their liver, lung, pancreas or intestine to someone in need.
- And, on the average, more than 50 percent of patients that receive an organ donation gets to continue their life for another 10 years or more… see how noble it is…
So how about doing that final charity, of donating your organs once you do not have any need for it.. so you can give some others a chance at living too…for more info check out http://dermaorgan.gov.my
Last but not least, while we are able to, and while we are fit, let's take care of our health and live a fit, happy and fulfilling life...