Chinese New Year is the most important Chinese festival in the calendar, marking the start of the new year. The year 2016 coincides with the Year of the Red Fire Monkey on the Chinese calendar, with millions of people around the world celebrating and welcoming the new year with their families and friends. Apart from firecrackers, lion dances and red envelopes, families will not miss gathering for their annual reunion dinner.
Home cooked dishes will be prepared and enjoyed for the reunion dinner, so here’s a little something to help you prepare and cook your favourite dishes easily.
Philips’ kitchen appliances will help you save your energy on cooking and spare it for a mahjong session or just simply spend more quality time with your loved ones.
Read on for some simple recipes you might enjoy making....
Philips Viva Collection Food Processor (RRP MYR349)
Prepare your dishes conveniently and fast with Philips’ Viva Collection Food Processor. This Philips Food Processor has a 3 in 1 compact set-up with a 2 litre bowl, blender and grinder mill. It also has 5 stainless steel disc inserts enabling you to effortlessly create a wide variety of your favorite recipes. For best results, use the low speed setting (speed 1) to whip cream, beat eggs, and create pastries and bread dough. The higher speed setting (speed 2) is well suited for chopping onions and meats, blending soups and smoothies or shredding, slicing, grating or rasping vegetables. Now who needs another hand in the kitchen? Not anymore!
DAN DAN NOODLES
· 150g Beef, ground
· 1 tbps Peanut Oil
· 2 cloves Garlic, minced
· 1 tbps Ginger, minced
· 50g White cabbage, thinly sliced
· 2 nos Scallion/Leek, chopped
· 1 no Red pepper, chopped
· 1 tbps Chinese rice wine (optional)
· ½ tsp Salt
· To Taste - Roasted peanuts, crushed (optional)
· 300g Philips fresh egg noodle
· To Taste - Salt
· 50ml Chicken Stock
· 2 tbps Soy Sauce
· ½ tbps Sesame paste/Tahini
· 2 tsp Sesame oil
· 1 tsp Sugar
· 1 tbsp Black rice vinegar
· ½ tsp oGround Sichuan pepper
· To Taste - Chilli oil
1. Bring large pot of salted water to boil.
2. For the sauce: Whisk together the ingredients. Set aside
3. Heat in a wok or skillet over medium-high heat. Add garlic, ginger, white parts of scallion and cabbage. Cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the meat and stir-fry until crispy and brown. Add rice wine to deglaze the pan. Season to taste
4. Meanwhile, cook Philips fresh egg noodles for 6 minutes in boiling salted water, drain. Rinse shortly under cold noodle so that it stop the cooking process, but it stays warm. Drain and transfer to a serving dish.
5. Pour the sauce over the noodles and serve with the meat, topped with the chopped scallion greens and roasted peanuts. Serve immediately.
Tip: You can use Balsamic vinegar instead of Black vinegar. Dry sherry instead of Chinese rice wine and White pepper instead of Sichuan pepper.
Philips Viva Collection Digital Airfryer HD9230/20 (RRP MYR1,699)
CHINESE SCALLION FLATBREAD
· 2 cups All-purpose flour
· 1 cup Warm water
· 3 tbps sesame oil
· ½ tsp salt
· 1 cup Scallion/ Spring onion, chopped, green parts only
1. In a medium bowl, add in flour and gradually add in warm water until it forms a smooth dough.
2. Knead the dough for about 10 minutes or until the dough is smooth and elastic. Cover with the damp kitchen towel and set aside for about 20 minutes.
3. After 20 minutes, dust some flour on a flat surface. Divide the dough into two equal sized balls.
4. Roll the dough into a thin circle to form a round flatbread. Brush the flatbread with a teaspoon of oil, then sprinkle some salt evenly.
5. Sprinkle ½ cup of scallion all over the flatbread. Roll up the flatbread tightly, creating one long snake of rolled up dough
6. Cut the rolled flatbread into 5 small pieces. Spread each piece into small 5 inch disc.
7. Brush the bread with some sesame oil on both sides.
8. Place into the Philips Airfryer. Set the temperature at 170°C and cook for 10 minutes
Philips Pure Essentials Collection Steamer (RRP MYR339)
One definite dish that we won’t miss out during Chinese New Year would be fish. “年年有余” – ‘may you have surplus and abundance every year’ is a common blessing expressed during Chinese New Year, and is represented with a dish of fish. The Pure Essentials Collection Steamer can steam fish and more. You can prepare your favourite soup, stew, porridge, rice and more
A) CHICKEN SOUP
· 1 large onion
· 4 clove garlic
· 1 inch ginger
· 1 whole large chicken
· 10 cups or 2 1/2 liter water
· 2 tsp salt
· 2 tsp pepper
· 1 stalk Chinese parsley, cut thinly to sprinkle on soup when serving
Marinade ingredients for chicken:
· 1/4 cup sweet soy sauce
· 1/4 cup salty soy sauce
1. Boil all the above ingredients for approximately 1/2 an hour.
2. Remove the whole chicken & put it in a large bowl. Save chicken broth for rice, chili and soy sauce.
3. Pour the marinade ingredients over the chicken & rub evenly. Let it rest for 15 minutes in the marinade.
4. Airfry the chicken whole...until done & crispy on the outside.
5. Cut the chicken when you are about to eat.
· 3 cups Basmathi rice
· 4 1/2 cups chicken broth,(made above)
· 1/2 onion, slice thinly
· 2 slices ginger, julienne (cut into thin fine strips)
· 2 cloves garlic, sliced thinly
· 1 screwpine leaves, tied into a knot
· 1 stalk fresh coriander leaves, to decorate when serving
1. Wash 3 cups of Basmathi rice and drain.
2. Put the drained rice into a rice cooker.
3. Put the onion, ginger and garlic together with the rice.
4. Pour the broth into the rice cooker.
5. Put the screwpine leaves in & begin cooking.
C) CHILLI SAUCE
· 10 fresh red chillies, deseeded
· 1 tbsp vinegar
· 2 tbsp sugar
· 1 tsp salt
· 2 cloves garlic
· 1/2 cup cooled chicken broth
1. Blend all the above ingredients.
2. Pour into a small pot.
3. Boil till the sauce of the right consistency.
4. Taste & put aside.
D) SOY SAUCE
· 1/2 cup chicken broth
· 4 tbsp sweet soy sauce
· 2 tbsp salty soy sauce
1. Simmer the soy sauce till it boils.
2. Remove from heat & put aside.
Philips Viva Collection Electronic Pressure Cooker HD2139 (RRP MYR529)
Philips’ kitchen appliances are available at any Philips authorised retailer located nationwide, at the Philips Brand Store in Publika Shopping Gallery in Kuala Lumpur and online via www.blipmy.com. For more information, log on to www.philips.com.my.
my mom has this pressure cooker too! :D a must-have item for chinese dessert soupReplyDelete
Invention and technology made life better and easier :) thanks for the recipe. Our family always love to eat noodle kkkReplyDelete
Exactly.. And with these kitchen ware.. Life gets easier..Delete
Awesome recipes for CNY. thanks so muchReplyDelete
My pleasure... HuhuDelete
My pleasure... HuhuDelete
I want that food processor! Already have an air fryer so will be cooking up some dishes this cnyReplyDelete
I dream of owning one of those air fryers... HehehDelete
I dream of owning one of those air fryers... HehehDelete
WOw, we can try the CNY recipes! Every family sure love it! Thanks for sharing :)ReplyDelete
Oh these are some great recipes for CNY Miera dear. That noodle dish looks too good!ReplyDelete
Great! I can prepare some new dishes to my family. :)ReplyDelete
wow! thanks Miera for this wonderful sharing :) Gonna discuss all these suggestions with my cousins to work out something this CNY :) cheers, siennylovesdrawingReplyDelete
wow thanks for the recipe. Will pass to my mom to cook for us hahaReplyDelete
WAH CAN TRY FOR THIS COMING HOLDIAY cnyReplyDelete
i also use only pressure for cooking everything as it's just super convenientReplyDelete
My mum already starts prepared for all CNY dishes. Thanks for sharing. :)ReplyDelete
Sometimes too many fancy cooking equipment takes up alot of space in the kitchen lol. i am having that problem now.ReplyDelete
omg! All are so tempting! I feel hungry now.... =0ReplyDelete
I can try to prepare some quick and delicious dishes during CNY.ReplyDelete
My mum been bugging dad for a food processor lately, this seems like a good brand :)ReplyDelete
not bad.. wish i can cook ><ReplyDelete
i'm sure with all these cool tools, it makes cooking easier yaReplyDelete
i am a loyal fan of philips too. love their productsReplyDelete
This is often not the case with typical fryers wherever the employment of oil will increase the saturated fat content and for a few UN agency am passionate about it double deep-fried, the proportion of fat also doubles.ReplyDelete
Hey Miera Nadhirah Tan,ReplyDelete
This is very much informative article you have shared. I read your writing in detail and got such a nice information that I became a fan of you. Thanks for sharing this with us.