Ten categories of undesirable website content were chosen for the investigation, as follows: pornography and erotica, illegal software, narcotics, cruelty and violence, strong language, weapons, gambling, anonymous proxy servers, payment systems, and online games.
The Forbidden 10
Parents traditionally deem three categories of undesirable content especially undesirable for their children. These are: pornography and erotica, cruelty and violence, and narcotics. With regard to these three, the investigation returned the following findings:
• In nearly in all countries, the ‘pornography and erotica’ category – by a large margin – leads in the visit-ratings based on notifications from Kaspersky Lab’s Parental Control module. The highest percentages of visits to sites with pornographic/erotic content were in Japan (74.9%) and in France (68.9%). Number three was Mexico (56.3%).
• Sites belonging to the category of ‘cruelty and violence’ are visited most often in Mexico (8.6%) and the USA (7%), and in Europe – specifically in the UK and Spain (both 4.8%). Based on Parental Control statistics, the popularity of sites in this category is relatively low. Nevertheless, it’s worth pointing out that getting to such sites accidentally is practically impossible: they need to be located on the Internet intentionally. Accordingly, even these low percentages of visits to sites of this category can signal to parents a degree of danger and be a cause for concern.
Illegal software is especially popular in China, and so in this country this category is way in front from the rest (69.4%, against the 24% of the nearest ‘competitor’ – Spain, and the 10.6% of Japan). Extra danger posed by sites in this category lies in the fact that on sites offering illegal software malware is very often is distributed too.
Indicators of other categories
• Strong language: Russia (10.7%), Italy (9%), Mexico (7.7%)
• Weapons: Russia (26.4%), Italy (13.7%), USA (12%)
• Gambling: Italy (15.7%) USA (15.4%), UK (13.5%)
• Anonymous proxy-servers: Mexico (2.1%), UK (1.2%), Italy (0.8%)
• Credit card payments: Italy (8.5%), France (5.5%), Germany (2%)
• Online games: Germany (41.1%), Australia (13.4%), USA (11.2%)
More information can be found at securelist.com.
 Data were taken from KSN statistics based on notifications from the Parental Control module in Kaspersky Lab security products permitting analysis of the categories of undesirable site content which children reach most often. These statistics are collected anonymously, and regardless of whether a given category is deemed dangerous by parents and thus blocked by Parental Control.
 The percentages represent the share of visits to sites of the given category in relation to total visits to the 10 site categories used for this research in each of the countries.
Kaspersky Lab is the world’s largest privately held vendor of endpoint protection solutions. The company is ranked among the world’s top four vendors of security solutions for endpoint users*. Throughout its more than 16-year history Kaspersky Lab has remained an innovator in IT security and provides effective digital security solutions for large enterprises, SMBs and consumers. Kaspersky Lab, with its holding company registered in the United Kingdom, currently operates in almost 200 countries and territories across the globe, providing protection for over 300 million users worldwide. Learn more at www.kaspersky.com.