I can never ever resist a juicy red strawberry. No way!! It is one of my most favourite fruits ever!!!
But I just realize that taking strawberries is also actually very healthy!!! Here I am going to share 10 Health Benefits of Strawberries with you ...
1. Helps burn stored fat - The red coloring contains anthocyanins, which stimulate the burning of stored fat. When a group of animals was fed a high-fat diet along with anthocyanins, they gained 24 percent less weight than the animals eating the high-fat diet without added anthocyanins.
2. Boost short term memory - The anthocyanins boost short term memory by 100 percent in eight weeks.
3. Low in Calories – High in Fiber - One cup contains only 54 calories.
4. Ease Inflammation - Strawberries lower blood levels of C-reactive protein (CRP), a sign of inflammation in the body. In a study, women who ate 16 or more strawberries per week were 14 percent less likely to have elevated levels of CRP.
5. Lower cardiovascular disease - Flavonoids — which are responsible for the colour and flavour of strawberries — lower the risk for heart disease.
6. Promote bone health - Strawberries contain potassium, vitamin K and magnesium which are important for bone health.
7. Prevent oesophageal cancer - Studies show freeze-dried strawberry powder may help prevent human oesophageal cancer.
8. Anti-aging properties - Strawberries are filled with biotin, which helps build strong hair and nails. They also contain the antioxidant ellagic acid, which protects the elastic fibers in our skin to prevent sagging.
9. Good for weight loss - The compound nitrate found promotes blood flow and oxygen in our body, which is great for weight loss.
10. Promote eye health - Eating three or more servings of fruit like strawberries may lower the risk of macular degeneration, a condition resulting in vision loss.
OK... anyway, when yours truly here was invited to the First Pick Maehyang Strawberries from Korea event, naturally I was all but jumping up and down in delight..
Maehyang strawberries are the most treasured among the fruits, and Jinju in South Korea produces most of them. Jinju is the main strawberry producing region in South Korea...
In comparison with other variety of strawberries, Maehyang strawberries are of higher quality, but they can be more difficult to cultivate. So in South Korea, they have earned the nickname ' Noble Strawberries'.
Though they are marketed at comparitively higher pricing, Maehyang strawberries are very popular with domestic consumers in South Korea as well...
Maehyang strawberries comes with a striking red hue, a shiny appearance and a more conical shape. They have a fragrant scent , very much like fruit -flavoured candy in comparison with the normal muskier, earthy scent of other strawberries.
The taste is strong and sweet, without lingering on the tongue. They are also less moist and more crunchier, which suit our local Malaysian consumers.
Korean strawberries are an excellent source of fibre and antioxidant and like I mention above, they help regulate blood pressure and have anti-inflammatory properties...
Today, Maehyang strawberries are seeing a steady rise in demand compared to strawberries from other parts of the world. The strawberry season in Korea begins in late November until early May....
Euro-Atlantic, the company responsible for bringing the Maehyang strawberries to Malaysia had organized a nationwide contest for the Maehyang strawberries from 2nd March until the 30th April this year, and it had received an overwhelming response from consumers of this lovely Korean strawberries. This is the third year this contest was held...
And so after careful selection, the 14 winners were announced and invited to the Acme South restaurant at Bangsar South to receive their prizes as well as to attend a food art workshop conducted by well-known international food artist Lee Samantha.
The Grand Prize winner, Ms Yeoh Siew Leng from Penang walked away with a trip for two to South Korea for 6 days and 4 nights, while the First prize winner, Mohd Razib bin Karim from Selangor, Second prize winner, Bak Mei Kiew from Penang and Third place winner, Shein Wen Yee from KL all received a brand new Samsung mobile phone. The consolation prizes winners got a Euro-Atlantic Fruit Basket worth RM100 each!!!
It definitely was fun watching Lee Samantha at work creating her food art masterpiece just using 5 ingredients... the Maehyang strawberries, Japanese cucumber, bread, chocolate sauce and some yogurt....
The contest winners had a fun time trying to make their own food art as well... Check out the photos below on how Lee Samantha created her masterpiece.....
Anyway, for more info on Euro-Atlantic
check out www.euro-atlantic.com.my