Experience the rush of ultra high-power zoom photography, and enjoy the action up close with the new COOLPIX P900, announced today by Nikon Malaysia Sdn Bhd Made for users who are unwilling to compromise on superior image quality, the 16.1-megapixel P900 and its new Dual Detect Optical VR technology boasts the finest super-telephoto performance in the history of the Nikon COOLPIX range. The impeccable combination of an optical zoom reach up to 2000 mm, alongside a Dynamic Fine Zoom with focal length reach of 4000 mm, comes in handy when shooting a wide array of subjects, from plane spotting to bird watching and vast landscapes in full gorgeous detail.
“The P900 represents the pinnacle of Nikon’s technological innovation with regard to compact digital cameras. With an amazing optical zoom reach of 2000 mm and the accompanying 4000 mm from its Dynamic Fine Zoom, users can now shoot what was conventionally impossible with a device that fits comfortably in the palm of the hand,” said Hiroaki Ono, General Manager of International Marketing Division Imaging Group, Nikon Singapore Pte Ltd. “Packed with advanced features and improvements, such as the newly introduced Dual Detect Optical VR, a remarkably shortened shooting time lag, and the inclusion of built-in Wi-Fi with NFC-support, the P900 reflects our commitment to constantly improving the experience of everyday photography.”
P900 Primary Features
1. Innovation and class-leading performance
· Leader of the pack: Backed by 16.1 megapixels, and an EXPEED C2 image-processing engine, superior image quality and vibrant Full HD video are assured. The P900 also comes equipped with a backlight illumination CMOS sensor and High ISO sensitivity, expandable up to ISO 6400 for superb performance, even in low light conditions. Users can get creative and hone their craft with consecutive shot combination technology and a range of specialized shooting modes such as Night Landscape, Night Portrait, Backlighting (HDR), and Close-up, all configured to show off the P900’s strengths.
Unrivalled ultra high-powered zoom: Leveraging on its core NIKKOR lens technology, the P900 is capable of 83x optical zoom, from wide-angle 24 mm to 2000 mm (35mm-format equivalent), and an impressive 166x Dynamic Fine Zoom, with an approximate focal length of 4000 mm (35mm-format equivalent) with maximum image size used. Sheer zoom power allows the capture of incredibly fine subject detail, such as distant wild animals in a safari, or craters on the moon’s surface. Powerful both near and far, macro photography of subjects as close as 1 cm to the lens is made possible, making it perfect for the daintiest of subjects like insects and fine textures.
· Crystal clarity: Blur-reduction is immensely enhanced with the newly adopted, Dual Detect Optical VR. A high-performance lens-shift VR, it ensures crisp images while on-the-move and minimizes image blur from camera shake, especially when utilizing the P900’s ultra-zoom features, by providing an effect equivalent of shooting at a shutter speed 5.0 stops faster. Vibration reduction is improved with a great degree of accuracy, by the angular velocity sensor and the image sensor, which work in tandem to detect and calculate vibration intensity and frequency.
Refined shooting experience: In order to capture precise moments, an evolved high-speed response is required. The P900 provides this with an autofocus (AF) speed of approximately 0.10 seconds*5, perfect for the fleeting moments in sports or wildlife photography. This is accompanied by a shooting time lag of approximately 0.12 seconds*5 at wide-angle and 0.75 seconds*6 at tele-angle. When photographing subjects in motion the P900 excels with a range of continuous shooting modes such as Continuous H, for the largest image size at approximately 7 fps (up to 7 frames).
· Speedy reaction to every moment: Complementing the ultra high-power zoom capability is a suite of features dedicated to maximizing the ease of use. Should subjects move out of frame temporarily during telephoto shooting, zoom position can be easily shifted to the wide-angle side with the quick press of the Snap-back zoom button, while the Side zoom control enables zoom operation while minimising camera shake, allowing for stable movie and still images. Additionally, Moon and Bird-watching modes have been incorporated, enabling simple focusing and dedicated settings for capturing the best shots of these challenging subjects and helping users take full advantage of the P900’s superior zoom power.
· Premium technology, compact portability: This versatile, outstanding performance is made possible with the use of refined NIKKOR lens technology, and the inclusion of a Super Extra-low Dispersion (ED) lens element. The Super ED lens element, normally used in interchangeable lenses for SLRs, provides superior chromatic aberration correction capability for high image quality, even at high zoom ratios and maximum aperture. This ensures sharp, clear images with excellent contrast during shooting, minimizing the need for image post-processing, thus resulting in gorgeous images, ready for sharing and uploading with the touch of a button. The incorporation of the lens element also enables superb image forming capability, without increasing the size of the lens barrel, keeping the P900 compact and fitting nicely in the hand for easy handling.
· Movie-making magic: Get into the director’s chair and film Full HD videos of 1080/60p with stereo sound. Equipped with a zoom microphone that changes directivity according to the zoom operation, videos are accompanied with sharp sounds for a vivid experience in reliving the captured moments. A Time-Lapse Movie function also automatically creates 10-second movies from still images captured at various intervals, simply with a selection of a preferred shooting scene.
2. Shoot and share
· Technology that brings people together: In line with the Spring 2015 COOLPIX digital camera range, connectivity is key with the P900’s built-in Wi-Fi® and Near Field Communication (NFC) capability. With the simple tap of a smart device on the camera’s NFC antenna to activate its built-in Wi-Fi® connectivity, high quality images can be transferred to a compatible smart device through the use of the Wireless Mobile Utility app*8. This allows the quick upload of photos to social media and websites, for exciting adventures and memories to be shared with the world.
Geotagging, anywhere in the world: Explorers can now embrace their wanderlust with GPS, GLONASS and QZSS support. The P900’s improved geolocation capabilities identify locations and tag images with higher speed and greater accuracy, recording information, such as longitude and latitude into pictures. With fast and convenient location tagging, picture-perfect memories and idyllic locations are accurately matched and memorably preserved.
3. Pure photography pleasure
Brilliant, both inside and out: The P900’s dimensions of approximately 139.5 (W) x 103.2 (H) x 137.4 (D) mm, reflect a compact, yet elegant design. The camera sits comfortably in the hand with a secure grip that ensures stability during shooting, offering users a shooting experience that is similar to that of DSLR cameras. Like a DSLR, the command dial is projected, allowing the manual switching between shooting modes, while an eye sensor enables a variety of shooting styles by automatically switching from monitor shooting to the Electronic View Finder (EVF) when the photographer’s eye gets closer to the viewfinder.
Shooting and reviewing photos is further enhanced by the high-definition, approx. 921k-dot, 3.0-in., wide-viewing-angle, vari-angle TFT LCD monitor. A vari-angle system grants the freedom to shoot from various angles for flexible and creative composition when framing shots, while the RGBW pixel alignment provides superior visibility even under direct sunlight and maintains low power consumption.