Just 30 minutes from Perth's city centre, the bustling, dynamic port city of Fremantle has long been renowned for its eclectic mix of arty and alternative types. Its streets buzz with the song of buskers, the side walks fill with a wild collection of art and music floats out from trendy cafés and bars.
I was fortunate to have visited it back in 2002 when I was in Perth for about a month.
When you are in Fremantle, you should:
- ENJOY a coffee along the 'Cappuccino Strip' or trendy Wrey Ave, South Tce and High St.
- POTTER through the Fremantle Markets and watch local buskers.
- ENJOY fresh fish & chips at the Fishing Boat Harbour.
- HOP on board an historic tram ride.
- GO underground on the fascinating Fremantle Prison Tunnel tour.
- VISIT the WA Maritime Museum and Fremantle Arts Centre.
- FEAST on the local flavours on offer at the many restaurants and cafés.
- SAMPLE boutique beer at one of the great micro breweries.
- FIND fashion, great shopping, original artworks and quirky gifts.
- FOLLOW a self-guided walking trail - maps available from the visitor centre.